A History of Collaboration and Innovation
In March 1953, the directors of nine North Dakota telephone cooperatives met at the Patterson Hotel in Bismarck to guard against unfavorable legislation, exchange information, and promote the general welfare of telephone cooperatives. At the time, most North Dakota residents still relied on party-line service, in which wires were strung from pole to pole and long distance calls were prohibitively expensive. Those directors joined forces to expand high-quality, low-cost telephone service across North Dakota, laying the foundation for what would become BAND nearly half a century later.
As communication methods evolved around the world, BAND and our 15 member organizations have evolved with them. In 2018, as the predominant form of communication technology shifted from telephone to broadband, The North Dakota Association of Telecommunication Cooperatives (NDATC) announced a new name: the Broadband Association of North Dakota, or BAND.
While the technology that we have used to communicate has evolved over the past six decades, our mission—to ensure the highest quality communication technology is accessible to all North Dakotans—has not wavered.
The History of Broadband in North Dakota
- MLGC was established as a family-owned telephone company
- NDARC passed a resolution to support telephone by forming a telephone committee
- DRN was established as the first telephone cooperative in ND
- Nemont was established in MT
- The NDAREC telephone committee “carved up” the state into territories
- Dakota Central, Consolidated, SRT, NCC, Red River & RTC were established as cooperatives
- BEK, Polar & United were established as cooperatives
- WRT was established as a cooperative
- NDTC was established and is owned by a consortium of United, Dakota Central & Polar
- DCN was established by the 13 owner companies, who are the 13 members of BAND based in ND